A comprehensive listing of all books focused on Donald Trump published both prior and during his presidency. This includes books published by Donald Trump himself as well as those critical of his presidency.
“This approach compares favorably with the one the Obama administration took toward Iran, never demanding an end to nuclear programs and settling for a deal that came nowhere close.”
Trump Is Serious About Diplomacy With North Korea
By Tod Lindberg
The Wall Street Journal
February 6, 2019
The new tack was made clear in a detailed speech given at Stanford last week by Stephen E. Biegun, the U.S. special envoy to North Korea. Mr. Biegun firmly reiterated the administration’s objective: “the final, fully verified denuclearization of North Korea.”
This approach compares favorably with the one the Obama administration took toward Iran, never demanding an end to nuclear programs and settling for a deal that came nowhere close. When Mr. Trump ditched the Iran deal before engaging North Korea, he signaled his commitment to stricter terms in his talks with Mr. Kim. Mr. Trump’s critics assume the administration will settle for cosmetic changes rather than denuclearization, but its actions and its unified message lay down a very different marker.
Mr. Biegun was even more blunt in the question-and-answer period after his speech. “I don’t mince my words when I say that [Mr. Trump] is unconstrained by the assumptions of his predecessors,” he said. “President Trump is ready to end this war. It is over. It is done. We are not going to invade North Korea. We are not seeking to topple the North Korean regime.” Disapproval of North Korea is not a policy, and the expression of disapproval is not diplomacy.
The special envoy also made clear that the diplomacy between the U.S. and North Korea is personal. He described negotiations as “top down”—the product of commitments Messrs. Trump and Kim personally make to each other. Usually political leaders meet only after subordinates have ironed out details.
President Trump’s diplomacy is in some ways more 19th-century than 21st. He has shed President Obama’s view that history has a “right side,” which America’s rivals will eventually seek to join. Mr. Obama’s Iran deal was premised on Tehran’s voluntarily abandoning its radicalism and deciding to join the peaceful, modern world. The Trump administration makes no such assumption about North Korea’s eventual benevolence.
The following URLs identify sources/references for this Trump Archive record.
This record is a member of the following collections:
- The Wall -- <p>The president rooted his campaign and early presidency in the idea that the southern border needed a concrete wall to secure American borders, which he said was overrun by crime and drugs. He said...
- Isolation of Iran -- President Trump’s reintroduction of sanctions on Iran isn’t going over well with the international community. On Wednesday, the United Nations’ highest court ordered the United States to remove any re...
- North Korea -- The 2018 North Korea—United States summit was a June 12, 2018 summit meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un, held at the Capella Hotel, Sentosa, Singap...
- Government Shutdown -- <p>A week ago, President Donald Trump said he’d be responsible if the government shut down. Now that a shutdown is imminent, he’s trying to blame it on Democrats. On Friday morning, with a government...
Users vote up/down as to how significant they believe this record to be.
- 0 UP ranks
- 0 DOWN ranks
- 0 Rank Index (Based on Wilson Score Interval)
A short, but growing collection of movies, documentaries and other feature video focused on Donald Trump. The list is longer than you would guess! Browse the library and work your way through the list.
Trump brand and campaign material, anti-trump and protest material, odds-and-ends and any products featuring Donald Trump. We try to find the most useful and the most interesting.